The First Presbyterian Church of Oakland was organized on the first Sunday in September, 1887, largely through the efforts of Mr. James G. Speer with seven members signing the charter enrollment. For many years prior to the formal organization of the church, interested people worshiped in the home of Judge Speer and others. The Reverend Dr. S.V. McCorkle was authorized by Presbytery to preach the sermon and organize the Oakland Church. After installation of James G. Speer as Elder and J.A. Asher as Deacon with Elder Z.H. Mason assisting, the Sacrament of Holy Communion was served to the people assembled.
The almost unprecedented feature of this meeting was that it took place in the beautiful new sanctuary of worship erected mainly through the efforts of James G. Speer. Thus the organization and dedication services were held at the same hour. Due to the generosity of some of the early settlers, the church never asked for nor received any aid from the Home Mission Committee.
The church grew steadily; and in 1909 called its first full time pastor, Reverend S.L. Wilson of Due West, South Carolina. By 1919, the congregation outgrew the little wood church; and on March 22nd, $23,000 was subscribed to build a beautiful cream colored brick building around the corner from the first church.
By 1970, the congregation had outgrown the cream brick sanctuary; and a third building was occupied on March 30, 1971 at a cost of approximately $350,000. This sanctuary is currently still in use, and seats 350 people. Although we have outgrown the capacity of this facility, we have adjusted by adding an early morning worship service.
The three graphics shown on this page are photographs of original art created by Maggie Good, sister of long time member, Dora Winter. This artwork is prominently displayed in the hallways of the church.